Terms and Conditions
1. The #BumiBelia Stories Competition (henceforth referred to as “the competition”) is jointly organised by UNDP Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei Darussalam, and UNICEF Malaysia (henceforth referred to as “the organizers”).
2. The competition is open from 17 September to 31 October 2021. All entries must be submitted by 31 October 2021, 11:59 p.m. Malaysia time (GMT+8). Any entry submitted before the competition period or after the close of the competition period shall be void.
3. By participating in this competition, the participant indicates that they are the sole copyright owner of the entry submission and that this entry does not infringe upon any other third party’s rights.
4. By participating in this competition, the participant allows the organizers and project partners usage rights to showcase and use submitted entries for non-commercial use, including presentations at other events, reporting and documentation, and marketing and promotion related to the organizers’ activities.
5. The information provided will be used in accordance with the Privacy Policies found at:
6. Entries must be in accordance with each category’s eligibility and entry requirements. See the following pages for details:
7. The entry must be free of copyrighted, offensive, violent, racist, sexist, homophobic, or obscene content and must comply with all local and national laws of Malaysia.
8. Should the entry feature a person/entity that is not the participant, the participant is obligated to obtain his/her/their consent to be featured in the submission entry.
9. The organizers reserve the right to modify the entries as necessary, including but not limited to editorial amendments, resizing, cropping, or colour adjustments as necessary, while maintaining the integrity of entries and their content as originally created.
10. The organizers reserve the right to disqualify entries found to be in violation of the stipulated competition guidelines (Terms and Conditions, Category Entry Requirements, Category Eligibility Criteria, etc.).
11. Each participant may submit as many entries as they like in each category provided they meet the category’s eligibility criteria. However, each participant will be eligible for a maximum of ONE prize only.
12. Entries will be judged according to the following criteria:
#1 Relevance (30%)
How well does your story tie to our theme and category? Whether your submission is for Elder Stories, Local Heroes, or Future Visions, our judges will be looking at how well your entry relates to the themes of Climate and the Environment.
#2 Reflection of Malaysia’s cultural diversity (30%)
Malaysia, Truly Asia. Our country is indeed rich with culture and we’d like to see you showcase this diversity! Will your entry include different languages? Different dialects or cultures in Malaysia? Whether your story reflects Malaysia’s diverse ethnicities, languages, traditions, or even age groups, there’s always a bit of diversity that you can showcase in your entry!
#3 Creativity (30%)
What makes your story stand out from the rest? If you’re submitting an audio interview, what sounds can you incorporate to make things interesting? If you’re submitting a video, what shots can make your story stand out? If it’s a photo essay, what picture(s) can best capture the mood and story you wish to convey? There are a million ways to show your creativity, so make sure you wow us with yours!
#4 Quality (10%)
How well have you managed to capture those finer details in how you tell the story in your entry? As all great storytellers would say, if two people tell the same story, there is a good story and there is a great story. Whether it’s through the quality of the questions you ask in the interview, the engaging story you present in your video, the originality of your pictures, flair for language, and more — show us the best of your skills!
13. All decisions made by the judges are final.
14. Cash prizes will be awarded for winners in each category, as follows:
- First Prize: RM2,500
- Second Prize: RM1,500
- Third Prize: RM1,000
- Consolation Prizes: RM200 (x10 recipients)
15. Cash prizes are non-negotiable, non-transferable, non-refundable and not exchangeable for kind, either in part or in full except at the sole and absolute discretion of the organizers.
16. Unless otherwise stated, each winner is solely responsible for any and all taxes and/or fees as well as all additional costs that may be incurred in relation to the cash prize awarded.
Selection of winners
17. Winners will be notified before end December 2021, according to information provided in their submission. All winners shall provide proof of identity for verification of eligibility for receipt of the prizes. The proof-of-identity document must match the name submitted in the competition entry form and must display the participant’s date of birth.
18. The organizers reserve the right in their sole and absolute discretion to deal with any unclaimed prizes in any manner. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim their prize within seven (7) days of notification, the organizers reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and identify a replacement winner.
19. By entering this competition, the participant is indicating their agreement to be bound by the stipulated competition guidelines (Terms and Conditions, Category Entry Requirements, Category Eligibility Criteria, etc.).
20. The organizers reserve the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without prior notice. Any changes to the competition will be notified to participants as soon as possible.
21. The organizers’ decisions with respect to all matters concerning the competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.